Thursday, April 8, 2010

Gui-tarded




This long weekend I picked up a guitar and learned to play it. This is a big deal for me.

People have always assumed I played guitar, and were somewhat shocked to hear that I didn't. It makes sense, I'm a musical guy and my favorite music is heavily guitar based. I play piano, drums, and sing pretty well. Why wouldn't I be a guitar guy too?

Unlike piano, for which I took lessons from the time I was old enough to sit still right up to highschool graduation, I've had no training on guitar. Unlike singing, which I'd been doing in church for just as long, I didn't have constant exposure to guitar. Unlike drums, which came easily enough that I taught myself, guitar felt unnatural and hard. I'd tried before, gotten nowhere, gave up, and decided it just wasn't my thing.

For whatever reason, I decided that by the time the weekend was over, I was going to be able to play pop progressions in G. Somehow, at the end of the long weekend, I was able to play pop progressions in G. They are very slow and have no intentional proper technique to speak of. But now I can whip out "Wonderwall" or "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt whenever I want.

Oh yeah, and power chords. Especially in drop D. I can totally rip on power chords.

1 comment: