Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mighty Beans Are On The Scene




On one winter afternoon while on an impromptu Tim's run, I asked one of my fellow students how much he spent a month on coffee. I'd assumed it would be a significant amount, as a day rarely passed by that I saw this guy without a Tim's cup cradled in his paws at least once. Even so, I was incredulous when he answered that he budgets $200 a month for coffee. He continued that he literally couldn't function without it, and needs at least a couple cups a day to make it to the end without crashing. This guy specifically budgets for coffee, and shells out 200 bucks a month as a starving student!

The above being a case more on the extreme side, I've heard many such stories of people being utterly dependent on coffee, as if it were as important as food, sleep, or exercise. I wonder how someone ends up in such a tragic state? My guess is that they start drinking coffee innocuously, making it easier to get going in the morning, or to stay up late writing university research papers. The dependence must come as they gradually lose the ability to do these things by their own discipline and force of will.

I hope I never start drinking coffee. I'd like to think that I can will myself to accomplish things to the best of my ability, without ever needing artificial aid. That's what everyone had to do before they popularized coffee. Can it really be so hard?

But perhaps more relevantly, I couldn't drink it if I wanted to. Coffee is disgusting. Seriously people, it tastes really gross.


No comments:

Post a Comment