Sunday, January 1, 2012

Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna be my year.


Happy new year! For my new years celebration, I watched the Canada vs. USA World Junior game, ate too much stuffed crust pizza and chips with salsa con queso, and got wasted while playing Mario Party 7 and 007: Nightfire on Gamecube with 4 other dudes. What did you do?

When I made my New Years plans, I was upset at how lame they were. New Years, I thought, should be spent at an awesome party with lots of people (read: lots of girls) dancing, drinking, and generally being as social as possible. There should be a kiss at midnight. It should be the opposite of staying in and playing old video games with a few other guys.

Looking back at the night, I'm still think it was pretty lame in principle, but I'm not upset about it anymore. Sure, I definitely could have made much more of one of the calendar's cardinal party nights. But unlike in the past, I recognize that not doing so was a result of my own lack of initiative, and not some innate social failing. I could have gone out, been social, kissed at midnight, and partied the night away if I'd made an effort to, and I know that I'd have kicked ass doing it. Since I don't have to prove that to myself anymore, I can accept the night the way it happened. I rang in the new year surrounded by friends, and I had a great time. That's more than a lot of people can say.

I plan to go twice as hard at the first King's party this term to make up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment