Saturday, October 31, 2009

For the Love of the Game?

The two activities I enjoy most are playing sports and playing music. I once wondered why, in fact, I enjoyed them so much.

Music requires massive amounts of practice and discipline. Scales, chords, rhythms. Endless repetition of menial actions. The same goes for sports, only those actions are physically demanding as well as menial. Wind sprints, power skating, stretching, passing drills, shooting drills... It doesn’t sound like much fun on the surface.


But the fun doesn’t lie in the act itself, I think. It comes from the satisfaction of knowing you are the best that you can be at the actions, and can bring them all together to be better than someone else.


Even more than these two things, I think, my satisfaction comes from the recognition and attention I get from others as a result of playing well. If I score a goal in hockey or sing really well at a show, people are impressed, and it feels good. They acknowledge my worth by cheering for me, and who doesn’t love to be cheered for?


I think it stems from the same part of a person that longs for acceptance and to be part of a group, such as a band or team. My band and team are glad to have me because I contribute something of worth. I’m useful.


I don’t know whether or not it’s shallow to enjoy sports and music for the recognition. Some might think I ought to be doing it purely for the love of music and for the love of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment